Saturday, December 31, 2011

Sarah's Spectacular Gluten-free Granola


I'm making a batch of granola this morning and am reminded that I have been meaning to post the recipe here on my blog.  Well, it more guidelines than an actual recipe, since each batch is different depending on the ingredients I have on hand.  Sometimes I like guidelines better than recipes anyway - more room for creativity....

I start with gluten-free oats.  Bob's Red Mill sells some nice ones.  Then I add nuts and seeds, some spices, something sweet and coconut oil.  All of that goes into the oven until the nuts are roasted.  When it comes out of the oven, I add the dried fruit, and voila! Granola!

So, here's the version I am making today:

2 pounds gluten-free oats (about 8 cups)
2 pounds raw almonds, chopped in the food processor
1/2 pound pumpkin seeds
1 tsp sea salt
1 Cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp cardamom powder

Stir thoroughly, so that sugar, salt and spices are evenly distributed.  Then, in a small saucepan melt:

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract

Drizzle over oat & nut mixture & stir to coat evenly.  Spread mixture in a large roasting pan, & put it into the oven at 300 degrees F.  Stir about every 20 minutes until the nuts are slightly crunchy, about an hour and a half.

Remove from the oven and immediately add:

2 cups golden raisins
2 cups dried cranberries
1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened

Stir to blend thoroughly again.  Cool, and store in a large glass jar.  Savor.  Mmmmm.....
 

No comments: