Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Short Guide to Base Oils


I use quite a few different oils in making various herbal products & have been meaning to put together a list of their individual properties for easy reference. I've put it on my web site & thought I'd post it here as well. Hopefully, you'll find it helpful, too!

Apricot Kernal Oil – Medium weight oil, easily absorbed by the skin.  Good for sensitive or prematurely-aged skin.

Avocado Oil – thick, heavy, easily absorbed.  Soothes and softens dehydrated skin.  Revitalizes and regenerates mature skin.

Castor Oil – Very thick, shiny oil.  Acts as a barrier.  Protects skin from harsh environmental conditions.  Very soothing.

Coconut Oil – Solid below 76 degrees F.  Emollient.  Soothes sensitive or irritated skin.

Grapeseed Oil – very light and non-greasy, easily absorbed.  Slightly astringent.

Hazelnut Oil – light, easily absorbed.  Slightly astringent.

Jojoba Oil – thick, light, easily absorbed.  Richly moisturizing for all skin types.  Thickens and beautifies hair.  Technically a liquid wax, not an oil.

Olive Oil – thick, slightly sticky, easily absorbed.    Soothes and moisturizes dry, dehydrated skin.  Thickens and beautifies hair.

Sweet Almond Oil – Easily absorbed, has a good “slip”.  Softens and soothes the skin.  Heals rough skin, strengthens nails.

1 comment:

~Herban Chica~ said...

GREAT information! Thank you so much. I am new at making salves and sun infused oil.. my experience has mostly been with extra virgin olive oil but I also use Jojoba oil which is one of my favorite oils.