Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sarah's Berry Compote

Lately I’ve been making a berry compote, which is a creation I concocted myself when the local blueberries finally came in season. It’s delicious on everything, so far as I can tell! I’ve mostly used it as part of dessert - on yogurt, ice cream or pound cake. Last night I served it on Lemon Poppy seed cake. I’ve put it on our breakfast oatmeal, & am thinking of putting it on scrambled eggs!

Here’s the recipe.

Sarah’s Berry Compote

In a large saucepan put:
1/2 cup water
1/8 cup honey or raw sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 pints fresh blueberries
1/8 cup amaretto liquor or 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)

Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook for 20 minutes or so, until it thickens some. If you’ve used amaretto liquor, the alcohol will evaporate, leaving the almond flavoring.

Add 1 pint blackberries or raspberries. Stir gently. Turn off the heat & let the compote cool slightly. It will thicken more as it cools.

Spoon warm compote over whatever your heart desires. Add a sprig of fresh mint and serve!
Can be reheated, but don’t bring to a boil since the blackberries/raspberries are so delicate.

Green blessings,
Sarah

No comments: